Checklist for Making a Will
MW Keller & Son Solicitors LLP will assist you in drafting your Will, or indeed in reviewing your existing one.
There are a number of things which would be very useful for you to consider before making a Will as follows:
- Prepare a list of all of your assets and details as to where they are located.
- Prepare a list of your immediate family members and how and where they can be contacted.
- Consider who you would wish to appoint as the executor/executrix of your will. This is the person who will ensure that the instructions set out in your Will are carried out in full.
- Consider how you wish to divide your Estate between your family, dependents and friends. You should be aware that if you are married, your spouse has a legal right share to half of your Estate where there are no children. Where there are children your spouse has an entitlement to one-third of your Estate.
- If you have children under the age of 18 years of age you should consider how you would want your children to be cared for and whom you would appoint as their Guardians. It may also be advisable to have assets which you would intend leaving to your children placed in a trust for their benefit until they reach a certain age as determined by you (this does not have to be 18 it can be any age). If you intend to utilise a trust then two trustees at a minimum would have to be appointed, however, we can provide direction on how to establish and maintain trusts, and advise you generally in relation to this.